The Ontario government is committed to improving publicly funded education and achieving positive outcomes for all students. We believe that safe schools are a prerequisite for student success and academic achievement, and we are committed to providing all students with the supports they need to learn, grow and achieve.
That's why the Ministry of Education has a Safe Schools Strategy that allows our children to learn in a safe and secure environment.
1. A Message from the Minister of Education (wmv file - 4,601kb) Movie Length: 1:40 This section presents a message to school staff from Kathleen Wynne, Minister of Education for the Province of Ontario.
2. Overview of Changes to the Legislation (wmv file - 3,112kb) Movie Length: 1:24 This section provides an overview of the new requirements for staff in Ontario school boards contained in Bill 157 (Keeping Our Kids Safe at School Act), the related Regulation (472/07) and PPM up-dates.
3. Reporting Requirements for Staff(wmv file - 21,984kb) Movie Length: 5:58 This section outlines the new requirements for all board employees with regards to reporting incidents to the principal that can lead to suspension or expulsion.
4. Requirements for Principals (wmv file - 15,030kb) Movie Length: 5:32 This section outlines the new requirements for principals in relation to responding to staff reports and disclosure of information to parents/guardians.
5. Responding Requirements: Board Employees(wmv file - 14,779kb) Movie Length: 3:58 This section outlines the new requirements for the majority of board employees with regards to responding to inappropriate student behaviour.
6. Supporting Students (wmv file - 1,156kb) Movie Length: 0:50 This section outlines the responsibilities of board employees to support students.
7. More Scenarios (wmv file - 30,308kb) Movie Length: 6:14 This section contains several additional scenarios to help illustrate the new requirements of this legislative package.
8. Closing Message (wmv file - 3,144kb) Movie Length: 1:09 This section recaps the range of learning covered in the module.
Support materials, such as resources and reporting forms are available using the 'Related Links' link below.
Keeping Our Kids Safe at School (PDF -261 KB)
Provincial Document: A positive school climate, with a safe learning and teaching environment, is essential for students to succeed in school. All of us – staff, students, parents and community agencies – have a part to play in making schools safer.
pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
Bill 157: Keeping Our Kids Safe at School
Welcome to this online training module, which offers staff in Ontario school boards an orientation to Bill 157 (Keeping Our Kids Safe at School Act), the related Regulation (472/07) and PPM up-dates.
Thames Valley District School Board | 1250 Dundas Street, London, Canada N5W 5P2 | (519) 452-2000