Westminster Secondary School is a public high school located in south London, Ontario, with a range of students from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.
Westminster is administered by the Thames Valley District School Board. Approximately 900 students attend the school, in grades nine to 12, plus a co-op program.
The school mascot is the wildcat. Westminster is known for the strength of its various programs, which include English, Math, Drama, Visual Arts, Music, United Nations Club, Chess and Robotics Club and Sports especially Wrestling, Volleyball and Basketball.
Westminster's School Song:
WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO WIN.
WHENEVER WE GO MARCHING IN.
DO THE BEST THAT CAN BE DONE.
AS WE PLAY EV'RY GAME
THEY’LL REMEMBER OUR NAME
HERE WE COME!
see the link Best of Westminster 2011-12 for more Interesting Facts
Westminter S.S. Winners - March, April, & May 2011
* Mar. 25-26: Westminster SS a Winner with our production of Devotion at the Sears Drama Festival (Goderich)
* Mar. 26 - Boys' Soccer Team wins St. Thomas Tournament
* Wed. Mar. 30 - Choir Wins Silver Award at Kiwanis Festival
* Apr. 11 - Kiwanis Music Festival - Brian Jo sang in the "Under 18 - Broadway" category and came away with a First Prize along with an invitation to compete in the Trophy Class on Friday.
* Apr. 12th - Duha Abid Al Hadi and Alaa Chalabi performed a guitar in the Duet Category & received a Gold Award.
* Apr. 13 - Gold is won by the Intermediate Band at the Kiwanis Festival at Saunders S.S.
* Apr. 14th - Senior Band received a Silver Award in the B-Class.
* May 20th - Boys' Soccer Team wins GOLD - TVRAA AA Championship.
* May 26th - Boys' Soccer Team wins BRONZE at WOSSA AA.
* May 26th - Many awards won at the Science Olympics.
4th in Chemical Capers, 2nd in Star Wars, 2nd & 3rd in Robots
(3rd year in a row), 1st & 3rd in Stacking, 3rd in Compound Boggle
& 1st in Pig Dissection (10th year in a row)
* May 27th - Chess Team wins 5th place in TVDSB Chess Competition
* Sept. 2011 - Senior Football team wins Redfeather United Way Game
Interesting Events - 2006 - 2010:
- In April 2006, the Westminster U.N. club, (History Dept.), took home two major awards at the year end meet. Both, Best Sr. Delegation, and Best Jr. Delegation were taken home, won by John B. and Ali Hassan respectively.
- In May 2006 the students and staff hosted a "Relay for Life" for the Canadian Cancer Society. The Wildcat students and staff raised over $20,000 in a pursuit to find a cure for cancer.
- In 2007 a special event was when our Senior Choir sang with Josh Groban. (noted singer)
- In the 2008-2009 school year, the Senior Boys Volleyball team reached the W.O.S.S.A.A. Championships, a feat which had not been accomplished in 15 years.
- In 2009, the Senior Boys Football team defeated their arch rivals to win their first game in 5 more than 25 games. A week later, the team shut-out Holy Cross for their first shut out.
- In 2009-2010 both the Boys Volleyball and Basketball teams were successful in reaching the W.O.S.S.A. Championships winning medals.
- For 2008-2010, Westminster has hosted the Wrestling Championships and had numerous award winning wrestlers.
- The Music, Dance and Drama programs have been recognized for their outstanding award winning performances with a variety of awards in competitions throughout northwestern Ontario. We were the Sears Champs in Spring 2009 for our Drama production.
- 2008 - A Grant was received in 2008 to start various programs and upgrade the school to benefit the students. The SWIS Program - Settlement Work In Schools was started in room 116 with our own Settlement Worker from the YM/WCA. It is an outreach program to help newcomer students and their families settle in their school and community in order to foster student achievement and promote integration of new Canadians. Smartboards, Data Projects, School Lockers were purchased and programs to assist students like Students for Success and Homework Club were started.
- The Robotics Team captured Gold in both Nov. 2010 & Nov. 2008 and Silver in Nov. 2009 at the Oxford Youth Invitational Robotics Competition.
- 2000-2009 - The Science Department is noted for their successful teams who attend the Science Olympics (UWO) especially the Pig Dissection competition which they have won for the last 9 years.
- In May 2010 the Juniors (gr9) placed 4th in Chemical Capers at the Science Olympics. The Robotics team took Gold at the Science Olympics (UWO) in both Spring 2009 and 2010.
- In 2010 - both our Senior (Redfeather United Way) & Junior Football team defeated Holy Cross in their opening games.