History of Thamesford Public School
Prior to the mid 1860's, children living in East Nissouri Township on the north side of the present Highway 2, attended a school on Delatre Street. In 1867, a new two-roomed school was built on Delatre. An amalgamation of North Oxford and East Nissouri students occurred around 1875, with classes being held in the Delatre Street building until 1901. In 1901, a new two-storey red brick structure was built at the east end of the present property of McCarty Street. On each floor there were two classrooms while the second floor also housed the Principal's office. The building served as both a Public School and a Continuation School. In 1926, at the west end of the McCarty Street property, an additional structure was build as a Continuation School. The High School classes ended in June of 1953, when the program moved to Ingersoll Collegiate. Then, in 1965, Kindergarten began in the basement autitorium of the Continuation School building. The present large modern structure actually began in 1961. The most recent construction took place in 1967 when a large two-storey addition was attached to the 1961 unit and all elementary students were consolidated under one roof. In 2012 two kindergarten classrooms were added to accommodate a Full Day Kindergarten program. A new office and a new front foyer complete the new addition.
Currently: Thamesford Public School is a tri-story building located on the same site. We have 11 classroom teachers supported by a Learning Support Teacher, a Teacher-Librarian, a Vocal and Instrumental Music Teacher, a French Teacher, a Prep. Teacher, 2 Early Childhood Educators and 2 Educational Assistants. In addition we have 1 secretary, 2 custodians and a principal.