Founded as a county school in 1959, Oakridge High School became Oakridge Secondary School when London annexed a large part of the surrounding countryside in 1960. The school became the first in London to adopt three colours: red, blue and gold. This became just one of many firsts in the years to come. For its first quarter century, the city's west end academic school naturally attracted some of London's brightest and best young people.
Pride in achievement, however, was never limited just to scholastics. Athletics, the arts, and community involvement distinguish the school in competition, performance, and in strong community support.
Though demographics played havoc with the school size (1400 students in the late 1960's), the school currently has a population of approximately 990. Its stability encouraged a large financial investment in modernizing and upgrading the physical plant in a major renovation during 1994-95. Few would recognize the old school today. Even fewer would recognize the school's original Latin moto "Nostrum viret robur" (Our strength grows as the Oaks). Yet the undeniable strength of Oakridge has been the outstanding leadership demonstrated by students, staff, and administration over its first fifty years.