What is Specialized Cooperative Education?
- a unique opportunity for students to earn credits towards their secondary school diploma;
- a program that allows students to earn three secondary school credits in a semester for completing 220 hours of work or volunteer experience and 110 hours of on-line coursework;
- open to any student eligible to be enrolled with the Thames Valley District School Board.
What Does It Involve?
- attending an orientation session at the beginning of the semester;
- completing one log sheet, one journal, and on-line assignments each week of the course ;
- on-going communication with the co-op teacher;
- participating in on-line class discussions;
- continuing your employment or volunteer work for the duration of the course.
Specialized Cooperative Education might be for you if you:
- are under the age of 21;
- are no longer enrolled in a secondary school;
- have earned at least 24 credits towards your OSSD;
- are employed or volunteering in a stable position;
- are motivated to earn your secondary school diploma;
- are hardworking;
- have access to a computer and Internet (four to five hours per week);
- are interested in learning how to manage your time and meet deadlines;
- like a challenge and are looking for an exciting way to learn.
What is the Role of the Employer?
- needs to be aware of your interest in the program and approve participation;
- receives visits from the co-op teacher at times convenient to him/her;
- provides feedback on your job placement;
- may offer some assistance with assignments on safety or career development.
How Do I Register?
- you must complete the application form;
- applications will be reviewed and applicants will be selected based on their ability to meet program requirements and the willingness of the employer to participate;
- late applicants will be considered the following semester.
What Happens After Registration?
- you will receive an e-mail inviting you to a mandatory orientation session;
- you will be expected to remain committed to your employment and course work;
- you will receive scheduled visits from a specialized cooperative education teacher.